Thursday, March 23, 2006

Swimming to battle Alzheimer’s

Whistler's Christine Suter plans to get wet for Alzheimer's Awareness Month. She has committed to swim 10 kilometres in the Meadow Park Sports Centre pool on Sunday in honour of her mother in law, who suffers from the disease.
For her swim, dubbed “Swim for Memories,” Suter is asking the Whistler community to get involved and go for a swim. Alzheimer's Disease is the most common form of dementia in Canada and an estimated 435,000 Canadians over 65 suffer from it.
“I decided to organize Swim for Memories because my mother in law (Margaret Suter) has Alzheimer's and I wanted to do something in her honour,” Suter said. “My own goal is 10 kilometres but you can swim as long as you want.”
Other communities are hosting a Walk for Memories event but Suter said a swim was better suited for the icy Whistler weather.
A triathlete, Suter is currently training for an Ironman Triathlon in Arizona this spring. Her husband, Paul Suter, is also on board and has agreed to swim five kilometres on Sunday. Marianne Prevost has also committed to swim in memory of her grandmother.
“I chose to do a swim because I am a swimmer. I have always enjoyed water sports and I have competed in a couple of open-water races from North Vancouver to Kitslano Beach. I know I can do the distance and I think swimming might bring awareness to the disease,” Suter said.
The event runs from 7 to 9 a.m. Suter will continue to swim toward her 10-kilometre goal after the two-hour mark. She said people are also welcome to sit in the hot tub and cheer on the swimmers. Diana Rochon from Dynamic Core Fitness is also helping organize the event and will collect donations and dole out refershments.
Pledge forms are available at Meadow Park and Lululemon. For more information on Swim for Memories, contact Suter at (604) 932-0788.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home